Friday, February 27, 2015

O Captain!





I lay in the dark cave, hungry and cold.
Blood flowing like water.
Nose running faster than bolt.
Looking through a crack, I see a glimpse of the sky.
I close my eyes and start to doze off.

"Then I saw the Congo creeping through the black.
   Cutting through the forest with a golden track."

Who's there? My voice bellowing in my head. No answer.

My bloody eyes awakened.
I look around, no one.
I look around and see an old man with a crumpled white shirt, ripped jeans
and a huge beard!
My nightmares are back where I hear the voices again, but only faster...

           "Then I saw the Congo creeping through the black.
               Cutting through the forest with a golden track."

I begin to see black & white boys, students, wearing black blazers singing
          "Then I saw the Congo creeping through the black.
               Cutting through the forest with a golden track."

Stop, Stop get these voices out of my head

The old man begins walking towards me and as he said "O Captain, My Captain"
        My heart stopped but I was still breathing....
        There is no way that man could be............. Walt........ Whitman!
    
"As long as your heart beats, the voices will never stop" he said.
He stood up but for some reason, my heart begins to skip beats,
Stood as if he was holding the Star Spangled Banner and said "O Captain, My Captain"

            "Then I saw the Congo creeping through the black.
               Cutting through the forest with a golden track."

I joined them: Then I saw the Congo creeping through the black.......
because now I know the meaning behind the chilling phrase.
As I repeat the phrase, the old man starts to fade away slowly, saying
"As long as your heart beats, the voices will never stop,
 As long as your heart beats, the voices will never stop."













No comments:

Post a Comment